Template:AdWords Fort Templebreedy was one of four fortifications built in the late 1800's and early 1900's to protect Cork Harbour. By virtue of Cork Harbour being a Treaty Port, it remained occupied by British Forces until July 1938 when control was handed over to the Irish Defence Forces.
It is no longer in use and much of the original fortifications have been removed.
Fort Templebreedy was built to the south of Weaver Point in Crosshaven between 1904 and 1909. In the latter year two 9.2-inch guns were mounted in the fort. The work consists of two concrete batteries one for 9.2-inch guns and the other for two 6-inch guns which were never mounted.
This later battery was known as Kilcolta Battery. In between these two batteries was an extensive practice battery for six guns which is now covered over by vegetation. It is believed that Laughome Battery was part of this site. In the cliffs to the north-east of the battery was a further practice battery for QF guns which probably no longer exists due to erosion. On either side of the battery were two searchlights together with their engine house.
At the entrance to the fort is the caretaker's quarters and opposite is the engine room and oil store covered by an earthen embankment apart from its front face. Nearby was the Post War Signal Station and Fire Command building which has now gone. This northern part of the fort, including Kilcolta Battery, has been laid out as a pitch and putt course. At the southern end of the site is the 9.2-inch battery with its empty emplacements, underground magazines and shelters. Immediately behind the gun positions is a raised embankment with the fire command post built into it.
A few buildings remain of the hutted camp used by the Irish Naval Service.