Difference between revisions of "Haulbowline"

From RSWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(New page: Haulbowline is an Island in Cork Harbour and is the current headquarters of the Irish Navy. == History == At a strategic and deepwater position in the harbour, the island has long been a...)
 
Line 5: Line 5:
 
At a strategic and deepwater position in the harbour, the island has long been a military base. The island was first fortified in 1602, and initially an important base for the British Army. Later, the British Army moved to nearby Spike Island, and the fortifications were handed over to the British Navy. The Navy established a large arsenal on the island, and a naval dockyard was built during the Napoleonic Wars.
 
At a strategic and deepwater position in the harbour, the island has long been a military base. The island was first fortified in 1602, and initially an important base for the British Army. Later, the British Army moved to nearby Spike Island, and the fortifications were handed over to the British Navy. The Navy established a large arsenal on the island, and a naval dockyard was built during the Napoleonic Wars.
  
Unlike the other fortifications in Cork Harbour, which formed part of the treaty ports, the dockyard was handed over to the Irish Free State in 1923.
+
Unlike the other [[Cork Harbour Fortifications| fortifications in Cork Harbour]], which formed part of the [[Treaty Port| treaty ports]], the dockyard was handed over to the Irish Free State in 1923.
  
  

Revision as of 19:16, 19 December 2007

Haulbowline is an Island in Cork Harbour and is the current headquarters of the Irish Navy.

History

At a strategic and deepwater position in the harbour, the island has long been a military base. The island was first fortified in 1602, and initially an important base for the British Army. Later, the British Army moved to nearby Spike Island, and the fortifications were handed over to the British Navy. The Navy established a large arsenal on the island, and a naval dockyard was built during the Napoleonic Wars.

Unlike the other fortifications in Cork Harbour, which formed part of the treaty ports, the dockyard was handed over to the Irish Free State in 1923.